This page is a work-in-progress. I’ll try to add past and future panels as I discover them. Excluding character roleplaying/”ask” panels.
- January 30, 2011: Ohayocon 2011 (Columbus, OH)
Anime Sports Fan Panel [source]
- August 6, 2011: Anime Festival Orlando 12 (Orlando, FL)
Eyeshield 21: The Sports Anime America Deserves [source, panel review]
- Description: Sports anime has had a very small following in the U.S. It’s the one anime genre that has had the most difficulty gaining popularity within the fan community. But if there is one show that can change that it’s Eyeshield 21. Why? It’s about FOOTBALL! (REAL FOOTBALL not that soccer stuff) This panel will be your introduction to one of the most underrated shows in recent years. While the NFL is in a lockout this may be the only place you can get your football fix all season! If you’re not a football fan…NO PROBLEM! Eyeshield 21 is built for you as well! You learn the rules along with the main character Sena. So buckle your chin strap and enjoy the ride that is Eyeshield 21. YA HA!
- August 9, 2013: Otakon 2013 (Baltimore, MD)
Japan, the land of sport action, aw yeah!
- Description: Japan has a rich sports history in the real world and it’s reflected in the anime world and the anime world bounces that success right back to the real world! This will cover everything from the Prince of Tennis, Slam Dunk to the World Cup and beyond! (Presenter: Kai Buck Dambach)
- May 23, 2014: Anime North 2014 (Toronto, Ontario, Canada)
- Description: A panel for all things sports anime and their not so subtle subtext.
- Oct. 4, 2014: Anime USA 2014 (Washington, DC)
Something for Everyone: Let’s Talk Sports Anime
- Description: Discuss sports anime and manga spanning dozens of sports genres, why we love them, and what we hope to see in the future.
- Nov. 2, 2014: Oni-Con XI (Galveston, TX)
Gou’s Muscle Contest: Sports Anime for Females [Tumblr post]
- Description: Interested in Sports Animes? Get an adrenaline rush watching the main team pursue victory? Become an emotional wreck when it comes to team work? Love watching all the beautiful fanservice? Then this panel is for you! Join us as we talk about Sports Animes and the changing dynamics from a male audience to a female audience. Attend the panel in cosplay from a sport anime series for a chance to win prizes! Muscle Contest to take place at the end of the panel.
- Nov. 7, 2014: Hal-Con 2014 (Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
- Description: Exploring the tropes trends and titles of a newly popular anime genre. I would be moderating a discussion on the subject and attempt to divide the panel’s time in accordance with the audiences interest. Will Likely spend part of panel in non-spoiler discussion of sports anime currently on TV.
- Nov. 8, 2014: Nekocon 17 (Hampton Roads, VA)
Welcome to Sports Anime Hell
- Description: Lately sports anime has seen a massive boost in popularity! Join us as we take a look at where the genre started and some key characteristics. We’ll also be discussing some series you may have heard about, and some you may have not, so you can decide if you’d like to give them a shot! Questions will be also be answered — but don’t worry, spoilers will be kept to an absolute minimum.
- Nov. 9, 2014: Nekocon 17 (Hampton Roads, VA)
Goal!!! Sports Anime for Everyone
- Description: 15 sports anime for everyone from diehard sports fanatics to people who don’t know the difference between a touchdown and a birdie.
- Dec. 5, 2014: Yama-Con 2014 (Pigeon Forge, TN)
- Description: Some popular and anticipated animes of 2013 and 2014 include Free!, Kuroko no Basuke, Haikyuu!, and Yowamushi Pedal. That’s a lot of sports animes with very very platonic relationships. Why not come in and talk about your favorite sports animes and maybe discover a few you might like!
- Jan. 3, 2015: Ichibancon 6 (Concord, NC)
Sports Anime: Exercise of the Otaku
- Description: Everything from basketball to tennis. Come listen to discussions, from fan to fan, of the various sports animes.
- Jan. 16, 2015: Taiyou Con 2015 (Mesa, AZ)
Slash in Sports
- Description: From rookie series like Free! and YowaPedal, to the veterans like Slam Dunk and TeniPuri, we will discuss sports series with slash overtones and their impact on fujoshi subculture.
- Jan. 24, 2015: G-Anime 2015 (Gatineau, Quebec, Canada)
Sports Anime: How They Ruin Your Life
- Description: You’ve watched them and you’ve cried over them whether you want to admit it or not. Come discuss sport anime like Haikyuu!, Free!, Kuroko no Basket, Yowamushi Pedal, and more!
- Feb. 13, 2015: Katsucon 2015 (National Harbor, MD)
A Sport for Everyone: Let’s Talk Sports Anime and Manga!
- Description: With the diversity of sports anime and manga available, there’s a series for anyone and everyone’s interests. From boxing to tennis to American football, artists in Japan continue to produce work for sports fans who enjoy watching the thrill of competition. We’ll review a variety of series both old and new and discuss the many reasons people are drawn to this part of anime fandom.
- Feb. 14, 2015: Katsucon 2015 (National Harbor, MD)
The History of Sports Anime
- Description: Sports anime have had a boom in popularity in recent years, especially on sites such as Tumblr. Join us as we step through the history of this genre, from Aim for the Ace to Haikyuu!!
- Feb. 27, 2015: Kami-Con 7 (Birmingham, AL)
- Mar. 22, 2015: Shuto Con 2015 (Lansing, MI)
So You Liked Free? An Intro to Sports Anime
- Apr. 17, 2015: Nashicon 2015 (Columbia, SC)
PLAY BALL – Sports Anime Analysis
- Description: From the diamond to the court, let’s get down and dirty playing games that we love with no sweating involved.
- May 17, 2015 – Otafest 2015 (Calgary, Alberta, Canada)
No one is dying but I’m still crying: Sports Animes & Mangas
- Description: It’s never just about the sport an ode to sports animanga. An insight and discussion to the sports genre and a mini game with giveaway prizes!
- May 23, 2015 – Animazement 2015 (Raleigh, NC)
Sports Anime and Manga
- Description: A brief history of the genre and an analysis of several themes and tropes associated with sports animanga, followed by a review of several popular series.
- January 15, 2016 – Ohayocon 2016 (Columbus, OH)
Sports Science: Anime Edition
- Description: We will discuss some of wackiest and least believable special abilities found in sports anime. The panel will provide a fun look at these moves and explore these moves from a real world perspective.
- August 12, 2016 – Otakon 2016 (Baltimore, MD)
Gentle and Not So Gentle Arts: Martial Art, Combat Sports And Japanese Culture
- Description: This combination discussion panel and martial arts demonstration will answer every question you ever had about the wacky world of budo, Japanese MMA and their connections to anime and manga. (Presenter: DC Judo)
- August 13, 2016 – Otakon 2016 (Baltimore, MD)
Sports Anime Through The Ages
- Description: Sports anime are currently more popular than ever, but they’ve actually been around for as long as Japan has been making animation, and it’s made waves influencing anime as a whole for just as long. Join us as we trace their history from the early 1900s to the shows we watch and love today. (Presenter: Wideface Group)
- March 31, 2017 – Anime Boston 2017 (Boston, MA)
Kuroko No Balls, Balls, and more Balls
- Description:Hosted by Momoi SatsukiA look at the very colorful world of basketball through the eyes of the Generation of Miracles(&Kagami). We’ll look at the characters and their quirks as well as the story and happenings of the series.We will also talk about the new movie coming out, ‘Last Game’. Join us for an hour of laughs and fun discussion!
- March 31, 2017 – Anime Boston 2017 (Boston, MA)
Legends of the Street: The Roots of Japanese Racing Manga/Anime
Hosted by Noborigumi ProjectFast cars, winding mountain roads, hot tempers, blistering straightaways, bitter rivalries, friendships and grudges; racing anime/manga like Initial D, Wangan Midnight, and Shakotan Boogie, have all these. But do you know their roots in the real-life Japanese street racing scene? Come and bask in the rich history of Japan’s legit and underground racing and tuning culture, and get familiar with the media it inspired—and which have reshaped it in turn, and has now spread across the world as the ‘JDM’ phenomenon. Don’t miss it!
- March 31, 2017 – Anime Boston 2017 (Boston, MA)
Tankery 101: The weapons and world of Girls Und Panzer
Hosted by Off-KilterDo you find Baseball boring? Football not combative enough for you? Does driving an armored fighting vehicle in a highschool competition sound like fun? Are you ready for a real WOMAN’S sport? If the answer is yes then this is the panel for you! Join us as we explore the tanks, technology, and world of Girls Und Panzer!
- April 1, 2017 – Anime Boston 2017 (Boston, MA)
Japanese Pro Wrestling: Indies & The Live Experience
Hosted by John CarrollIn previous years we’ve introduced you to the Japanese wrestling scene, talked about its long and storied history, and covered the two most popular promotions in Japan. This year’s panel on Japanese Pro Wrestling will dig deeper to highlight the incredible diversity of styles in the independent scene. We will cover everything from traditional mainstays like All Japan & NOAH to the hard-hitting rebels at Big Japan, the comedy meets action universe of DDT, and the women’s-only promotions like STARDOM. Plus, hear what it’s like to actually attend shows in Japan from someone who went last year! How hard is it to buy tickets? What are the venues in Tokyo like? How does the experience in a Japanese crowd differ from US indie and WWE crowds? We will cover all of that and more, plus take your questions!
- April 7, 2017 – Tekko 2017 (Pittsburgh, PA)
Sweet Viktuuri – Behind the Scenes of “Yuri!!! On Ice”
- Description: The smash hit ice-skating anime that had us all fangirling. The real-life skaters, choreography, locations, food, music, and other inspirations for our history makers. Trivia to win Yurio kisses. Sorry, no katsudon pirozhki. [Spoilers] Presented by Cynthia Crise.
- April 8, 2017 – Tekko 2017 (Pittsburgh, PA)
I Cast A Forward Pass – Tabletop Sports
- Description: You wouldn’t think nerds and sports would go together, but tabletop sports games have been around almost as long as sport itself. We briefly tour the boards, dice, and card games through history, including that one time the Magic:The Gathering guys got involved.
- May 27, 2017 – Anime North (Toronto, Ontario, Canada)
- Description: Inviting all fans to come and talk about sports anime and the homosexual undertones in many of the most popular series.